Industry: Health Clubs & Gyms
The health & fitness industry is a continually evolving and repositioning consumer-based industry to say the least. Members and prospective members are always exploring new means of working out, building strength, increasing their health, and preventing injuries and disease. We’ve seen the Jane Fonda workout era to the P90x craze to CrossFit mania to hot yoga and now to an increased focus on the melding between the medical and fitness communities. Add to this the advent of many new online and media-based platform workout models spanned from the pandemic and it is clear that the fitness industry is here to stay, is resilient and will continue to evolve to meet customers’ expectations.
In an environment where the old axion of “the only constant is change” is prevailing, gym and club owners need to remain cognizant of the risk management concerns their operations raise and the means to best mitigate against them. Proper coverage combined with risk management tools can greatly assist in this mitigation against the claims and allegations that arise in this space.
Chief among these claim concerns historically include:
- Injuries caused from the use of fitness equipment – both cardio and strength-based
- Slip and fall injuries
- Water Damage claims on interior property on leased gyms spaces
A comprehensive insurance program for a gym should include the following coverages among others:
- General Liability coverage with a minimum of $1,000,000 / $2,000,000 in coverage
- Professional Liability coverage for the personal trainers and group exercise instructors and the entity itself which should be a separate silo of limits to not erode your General Liability limits
- Abusive Acts coverage which should also be a separate silo of limits
- Property coverage to include your building (if owned), your business personal property, any improvements and betterments you’ve made to a leased building and your business income
- Crime coverage
- Cyber protection
- Auto which is often Hired and Non-Owned only
- Umbrella coverage
There are other coverage enhancements and coverages available in many package product offerings and in an ancillary format but ours represents the foundation for a really good insurance program to provide protection for their business and interests.
The fitness industry will continue to keep people active and healthy. Make sure your insurance and risk management program has the health it needs to serve the needs of your members and guests!
Specialty Agent Locator for Health Clubs & Gyms
We can put you in touch with the insurance agents and brokers who understand and specialize in your industry or product.
Refer Your Agent
To receive the many resources for your industry or product, be sure your insurance agent is registered with MGA+ by using our form below: